Beadwork: Beauty of Small Things

2023 “Beadwork: The Beauty of Small Things”
Beadwork was the focus expressed through clothing and accessories. The library featured a
display of purses, small accessories, and various beaded items. A description can be found on
the blog:
The League of Women Voters, celebrating its 75 th anniversary, was featured in the second-floor
alcove. The League first met at Rose Hill when it was a library.

A Nod To The Past

2022 “A Nod To The Past” highlighted organizations and memorable moments in Bay Village.
Displays included early school memorabilia with a nod to the first graduating class at Parkside
School in 1927 and featured an early graduation dress. 1920s clothing and a poster from the
suffragette movement were focused in the Victorian Parlor. The primary display
commemorated Dover-by-the-Lake Library, the first library in Bay Village, that began at Rose
Hill in 1921. The display highlighted the last 100 years up to the opening of our new library in
the spring. A nod to the military was evident in the library with military memorabilia from WWI
and earlier.
The second floor featured two displays: one of Bay Crafters which was originally on the lower
level of Rose Hill (now BayArts), and the Lake Erie Junior Museum. The museum, which was
housed in what is now the children’s bedroom and bathroom, would become the Lake Erie
Nature and Science Center.
The last display was in the lower area where guests viewed early bathing suits from the 1910s
and 1920s along with vintage postcards.

History of Dover

The History of Bay Village, Ohio

   Bay Village residents through history have treasured their hometown for its beauty, bounty and tranquility.

   Bay Village and surrounding areas were home to wandering tribes of Erie Indians when the first white men explored this area, about 1600. The lands were fertile hunting and fishing grounds. The most important Indian trail in Ohio is now Lake Road, which runs through Bay Village.

   In 1778, the State of Virginia had made this part of the country its Northwest Territory during the Revolutionary War. New York, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and Connecticut, however, also laid claim to the lands. Finally, because of all the confusion and the need for the 13 new United States to come to an agreement, all the states except Connecticut gave up its claims in 1780 and 1781. Connecticut refused to give up what it called its Western Reserve and, until Ohio became a state in 1803, this area belonged to Connecticut.

   During its ownership, the Connecticut Land Company sold some of the land and gave many acres to Connecticut citizens who had lost their homes and farms during the Revolution. This area was called “The Firelands” because the people had lost their homes and barns to the fires of war.

   One of the members of the Connecticut Land Company was a surveyor named Moses Cleaveland. He and his friends made the trip on horseback from Connecticut in 68 days to the new land they had purchased. They arrived on the banks of the Cuyahoga River with their Indian guides in July, 1796. The party explored, surveyed and marked off land into townships five miles square.

   The township lines between the Cuyahoga River and the Firelands to the west were surveyed and laid out in 1806. Two men from Connecticut bought Township Number 7, bordered by Lake Erie on the north, the township of Olmsted on the south, Rockport (Rocky River) on the east and Avon on the west. The cost: about $32,000 for 25 square miles.

   The owners, Mr. Hubbard and Mr. Stowe, named it Dover Township after their home town of Dover, Connecticut, which was named because it looked similar to Dover, England, and, probably, because the cliffs along the lake looked like the high, white cliffs of England’s shore.

   Mr. Hubbard and Mr. Stowe never came to the lands they owned; they left it to their sales agents to sell the farm lots to new settlers.

   As early as 1799 a man named Joseph Cahoon visited this area and wrote to his wife Lydia in Vermont about a new, beautiful countryside he had found. (Cahoon’s family was Scottish, the name being Colquhoun in Scotland.)

   After returning home to Vergennes, Vermont, in 1807, he bought Lot 95 on the Lake Erie shore at the mouth of a creek. Two years later, at age 52, with his wife, five sons and three daughters, and all their belongings packed into a covered wagon, they set out for the eight-week walk to their new home.

   The Cahoon family stopped their wagon on the morning of October 10, 1810, near a bubbling little creek. Cahoon, a miller by trade, had picked the land knowing he would need waterpower to turn his mill.

   That same afternoon, after righting a spilled wagon in the Rocky River, Asahel Porter and his family, together with his 17-year-old brother-in-law, Reuben Osborn, arrived from New York and claimed Lot 94 to the west.

   With winter approaching, Cahoon and his sons, with nothing more than axes and muscle, built a log cabin in four days. Animal skins covered the windows; the door was the bottom of the wagon.

   By 1818, the Cahoons had built a large, five-bedroom frame house on a grassy hillside above the creek. Joseph called it the most beautiful spot in America. The house stands today as the Rose Hill Museum, filled with Cahoon and other early settlers’ memorabilia.

   The Cahoon family barn, built in 1882, was converted in the 1930s to a community center, which serves the community today.

   The Reuben Osborn house, the oldest frame dwelling between Cleveland and Lorain dating to 1814, was slated for demolition in the early 1990s and was moved from its lakeside lot to a spot near the Cahoon family home in Cahoon Park.

   Settlers came fast between 1811 and 1818. They hacked out homesteads about a half-mile apart on the lakeside dirt road. They were farmers, millers, shoemakers, blacksmiths, teachers and more.

   The Bassett family came in 1811, then the Halls and Crockers. The Saddlers came in 1816, the Windsors in 1817, the Wolfs in 1818, the Bradleys and Clagues in 1819. By 1840 Dover’s population was 960.

   The first schoolteacher was Betsy Crocker, age 14, who began teaching in 1816 in a log schoolhouse on the lakeshore at Bassett Road. After a fire destroyed the log building, a wooden frame schoolhouse was built near the same spot in 1830. A red brick schoolhouse replaced that in 1869 and operated for 72 years. Most children went no further than the sixth grade.

   In 1827 the first organized church was held at the old log schoolhouse. After the congregation grew, a huge log cabin church was built near the schoolhouse, replaced by a wood-frame building in 1840 and in 1908 by a brick building, parts of which still serve today as the Bay Methodist Church.

   Joseph Cahoon’s granddaughter, Ida Maria Cahoon, who never married, was the last living relative, and when she died in 1917 she left the house and 150 acres to the new city of Bay Village, with the stipulation that the home be forever maintained as a library or museum. That land is now Cahoon Park.

John Huntington, one of the original partners in the Standard Oil Company, built a summer estate on 100 acres of land, now known as Huntington Park, part of the Cleveland Metroparks system. The park features the only public beach between Cleveland and Lorain, as well as the Huntington Playhouse.

   An electric railway was built through the city about 1896. It ran from Cleveland to Toledo. Area residents built summer cottages in the city, many of which still stand today as refurbished family homes.

  Besides the electric railway, the New York, Chicago and St. Louis Railroad ran tracks through the area in 1882. The Dover railroad station and nearby store was the center of activity for many years. In 1963 the old station was moved to Huntington Park where it became part of the Baycrafters art shops.

   Washington Lawrence, one of the founders of Union Carbide Corp., in 1895 began the construction of a large home on the lake in Bay Village. Across the street Lawrence constructed one of the first golf courses in the nation. Family members lived in the house until 1948, when it became the Bay View Hospital, operated by the Shepard family. Today it is part of the Cashelmara condominium complex.

   In 1901, because of squabbles over the spending of tax revenues, the City of Bay Village was established in the area of Dover Township north of the railroad tracks. A city government was first elected in 1903.

   The city continued to grow over the years. In 1914 a city hall was erected. In 1920 the Parkview School was built. Today it houses the Bay Middle School. Plans are underway to build a new middle school on the same site. Other schools followed as the population increased.

   A library was built in the late 1970’s, and it now operates as part of the Cuyahoga County public library system.

   The community is protected by a fine fire department housed in a building built in 1973 on Wolf Road. The city plans to erect a new police station adjacent to the fire station by 2003.

   Today, Bay Village is a community of more than 16,000 individuals living in more than 6,200 homes. Like those who have gone before, they enjoy the city’s beauty, bounty and tranquility.

New Boat Launched At Huntington Beach

by Ed Neal

A new boat that took seventy years to come to life is joining the downtown Cleveland waterfront.  Launched Sept 27 at Huntington Beach LITTLE HENRY will help to keep a problematic North Coast Harbor channel behind the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame free of debris.

The building team (L to R) Bill Donoho, Ed Neal, Cindy Verbiak, Steve Frye, Dave Weglicki (missing- Tom Baugher, Paul Jira, John Mikolich)

Davis Aerospace & Maritime High School student Quinton Oliver and Ed Neal.

LITTLE HENRY is built from plans drawn in 1953 by Henry Wischmeyer, a Bay Village amateur boat designer.   A body of Mr. Wischmeyer’s work resides in a collection at the Bay Village Historical Society.   It is there that Ed Neal, Executive Director of the Cleveland Amateur Boatbuilding and Boating Society (CABBS) discovered Wischmeyer’s plans for a ten foot utility boat that could address the unique clean-up issues at North Coast Harbor.

The idea to build a small harbor clean-up boat originated with Quinton Oliver and Jesus Sierra, students in the CABBS after-school boatbuilding club at the Cleveland Public School’s Davis Aerospace & Maritime High School downtown.  The two worked part-time at the North Coast Harbor marina and had first-hand experience trying to keep the problematic channel free of trapped debris.

Ed Neal gives remarks before the launch.

Ed Neal christens the “Little Henry” with wine.

Encouraged by Cathy Flament, President of the Bay Village Historical Society, CABBS applied for and won a project grant from the John Gardner Fund of the Traditional Small Craft Association, Mystic, Connecticut.  Boat construction started in March.

A team of CABBS members working four to six at a time regularly met on Wednesday evenings to construct the boat frame from Ohio white oak and southern yellow pine.  They planked it with Philippine mahogany marine plywood and sheathed the hull exterior with 6 oz fiberglass cloth set in epoxy.

While painting the boat in early September they learned that Henry’s 151st birthday would be September 27 and targeted that date for the launch.

Approximately forty people participated in the launch ceremony on the beach.  The rough Lake and breaking waves kept the first row to a minimum but all indications are that LITTLE HENRY took to the water admirably, rowed beautifully, and will be very capable little craft for its clean-up duties.

Civil War presentation

Civil War presentation, “Ohio’s Unsung Heroines, Women in the Civil War” was featured at the
general meeting on Thursday, November 20th. 2014 at the Community House.

This dynamic, gripping presentation highlighted the endeavors of Ohio women during the Civil War.
Interesting and riveting stories of female spies, soldiers, doctors, nurses, abolitionists, wives, and
mothers were told from a woman’s perspective. Guests were greeted by reenactors in Civil War
uniforms as they entered the building. They viewed historic flags including those from the Civil War era
that were part of the collection of Tom Gorgas, an authentic rifle, reproduction quilts from the private
collection of Sharon Morton, the Lakewood Historical Society’s Civil War Trunk, and were able to
interact with “soldiers of the day” as they enjoyed their meal. The venue was decorated with Civil War
photographs, letters and more. The potluck meeting included turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and
gravy provided by the Bay Village Historical Society.

“An Evening at Downton Abbey”

“An Evening at Downton Abbey” was a fundraiser fashioned after the popular television series of the
same name running for six seasons commencing in 2011. The series was a British historical drama set
between 1912 and 1926 in an English country estate depicting an aristocratic family and their domestic
We chose Lakewood Country Club in Westlake to welcome our guests on November 14, 2015 from
6:30 to 10:00 p.m. It was suggested to our guests that they may want to dress in period outfits which
the majority did. They were greeted by the entrance with a vintage car and entered the venue that was
adorned with not only life-size stand-up characters from the show, but a complex array of vintage silver,
glassware, and floral arrangements.
A photo op venue was in the background depicting characters and a screenshot of the estate. A jazz
band played, the hallway was lined with enticing gift baskets to bid on, and there was a live auction of
some higher-priced items at the end. Waitresses and waiters wore period aprons and served small
glasses of sherry to the guests. The event was extremely popular, well-attended, and successful. Evelyn
Allen chaired the event.

City Hall 100

November 3, 1914 the actual first Council meeting was held in the Bay Village City Hall Council
Chambers. November 3, 2014 fell on a Monday, and the Council meeting that evening included
recognition of the 100th Anniversary and included highlights of the history of the Council Chambers by
Cathy Burke Flament. Flament created a display in the office area of city hall to provide additional
background information.

Sam Sheppard

Will Krause provided an in-depth look at the brutal murder of Marilyn Sheppard at the Sheppard home
at 28944 Lake Road in Bay Village on July 4, 1954. Sam, her husband, was arrested by the Bay Village
police on the porch of the Fuller house which is currently at BAYarts. This was the venue where the talk
was held.
Sheppard claimed his innocence but was found guilty and would spend ten years in prison before
being granted another trial. The original trial produced a landmark U. S. Supreme Court decision on fair
trial rights. The murder conviction was overturned on June 6, 1966 due to a lack of evidence. Sheppard
died in 1970 of liver failure. The trial created national attention and became the inspiration for the
television show and movie The Fugitive. The Sheppard home was demolished in 1993.

The Floating Fuller House

The Irene Lawrence Fuller house was once located on the site next to the Washington Lawrence Mansion (now Cashelmara Condominiums). The house was moved from its original location on the shores of Lake Erie on August 29, 1984 to make room for condo expansion. To help accomplish this, the home was loaded on a barge and floated down the lake for 2.5 miles. It now rests at the BAYarts complex in Huntington Park and serves as a site for exhibitions, events and community gatherings. It was last remodeled in 2010.

The following photos chronicle the move of this still very much used and vibrant old home which celebrates over 130 years in Bay Village. Enjoy!

The Irene Lawrence Fuller home in its original location, 2021.P.FIC.102

The Fuller House days before the big move August 27, 1984, 2021.P.18A

A crowd gathers to watch the move on August 29, 1984, 2021.P.FIC.216F

Loading Fuller House onto the barge, 2021.P.FIC.216W

Fuller House sails Lake Erie, 2021.P.FIC.216Z

Fuller House is placed at its new home at BAYarts on September 5, 1984, 2021.P.18G


Want to learn more about this important home in Bay Village history and how this 120-ton house was transported to its current location? Join us at Rose Hill Museum on Sunday, July 9, 2023 at 2:15pm for a Porch Talk program about the Fuller House with developer Robert Corna. Guests are asked to bring their own lawn chairs.