The Lake Shore Electric Railway connected the city of Cleveland from its station at 25 Public Square to its western suburbs and beyond. Skimming through Bay Village, the interurban cars swayed past telephone poles at 60 mph. The whistle shrieked as it sailed across the two longest trestles, the 544-foot Cahoon Creek trestle and the 432-foot Huntington trestle. The last railway car left Cleveland’s Public Square on May 15, 1938, ending the 45-year era of the electric interurban transit along Lake Erie’s southern shore.
Segments of the interurban track, now privately owned, run behind homes at the western end of Bay Village. Remnants of the two trestles can still be found in Cahoon Memorial Park and over Porter Creek Drive in the Huntington Reservation of Cleveland Metroparks.