Victoria Clague Tuttle

Frame #31: Victoria Clague Tuttle

b. 10 Mar. 1839, Dover Township, Ohio
d. 10 Jan. 1930, Village of Bay, Ohio
Victoria Clague was the daughter of Robert Clague and Margaret Cowle. Her parents were from the Isle of Man, marrying in Lonan in 1837 before immigrating to Dover before Victoria’s birth in 1839. Victoria married Ezra W. Tuttle on May 31, 1873. She passed away at the age of 91 and is buried in Evergreen Cemetery, Westlake, Ohio.

Ezra Tuttle

Frame #32: Ezra Tuttle

b. 12 Feb. 1837, Dover Township, Ohio
d. 23 July 1921, Village of Bay, Ohio
Ezra W. Tuttle was the second child of Dexter Tuttle and Amelia Weidner Tuttle. Dexter was an early settler of Dover, arriving in 1823 at age 16. Ezra helped his father build a frame house for the family in 1845. The family’s land along Lake Road was split amongst the children, with Ezra farming a portion by Columbia road. He passed away at the age of 84 and is buried in Evergreen Cemetery, Westlake, Ohio.

Ezra Tuttle young

Frame #34: Ezra Tuttle as a Young Man

b. 12 Feb. 1837, Dover Township, Ohio
d. 23 July 1921, Village of Bay, Ohio
Ezra W. Tuttle was the second child of Dexter Tuttle and Amelia Weidner Tuttle. Dexter was an early settler of Dover, arriving in 1823 at age 16. Ezra helped his father build a frame house for the family in 1845. The family’s land along Lake Road was split amongst the children, with Ezra farming a portion by Columbia road. He passed away at the age of 84 and is buried in Evergreen Cemetery, Westlake, Ohio.

Dexter Tuttle House

25547 Lake Road – 1845. Dexter Tuttle came from Massachusetts in 1823 when he was 16 years old. His family drove an ox cart, waded across the Cuyahoga and Rocky Rivers, and settled in Rockport (now Rocky River). He married and moved to Dover in 1836. He cleared the woods on Lake Road, sometimes called the Old Wagon Road, and built a cabin where he and his wife raised most of their eight children. He built the Tuttle farmhouse between 1840 and 1845, enlarging it when more children were born. It stands today looking very much as it did more than 150 years ago.