Trestles at Huntington

The Lake Shore Electric Railway connected the city of Cleveland from its station at 25 Public Square to its western suburbs and beyond. Skimming through Bay Village, the interurban cars swayed past telephone poles at 60 mph. The whistle shrieked as it sailed across the two longest trestles, the 544-foot Cahoon Creek trestle and the 432-foot Huntington trestle. The last railway car left Cleveland’s Public Square on May 15, 1938, ending the 45-year era of the electric interurban transit along Lake Erie’s southern shore.

Segments of the interurban track, now privately owned, run behind homes at the western end of Bay Village. Remnants of the two trestles can still be found in Cahoon Memorial Park and over Porter Creek Drive in the Huntington Reservation of Cleveland Metroparks.

Caboose at Bay Arts

In venenatis euismod nisl, sit amet vulputate justo commodo vel. In at condimentum ex, a pulvinar turpis. Morbi mollis, dolor et ultricies blandit, velit mi placerat est, sit amet auctor ligula ante sit amet ante. Nulla elementum nisl id ante iaculis, sit amet maximus felis pellentesque. Aliquam erat volutpat. Donec ultricies ipsum quis diam ornare efficitur. Suspendisse eu nisl dui.

Morbi sed posuere ante, eget ultrices nibh. Proin sed velit nec sapien eleifend ornare eu vel ipsum. Suspendisse fermentum ac dui egestas commodo. Donec nec efficitur sapien. Duis aliquam auctor metus vitae accumsan. Curabitur sit amet pulvinar est, non lobortis nisi. Aliquam et dolor metus. Quisque consequat hendrerit interdum. Curabitur imperdiet velit tortor, vitae mattis sapien maximus in. Donec consectetur vitae turpis vitae lacinia. Nam aliquet ligula ullamcorper velit laoreet, sed iaculis dui rutrum. Proin lobortis rutrum dolor. Ut augue odio, consequat eu rhoncus quis, pulvinar a metus.

Morbi in ultricies erat. Vestibulum in efficitur ipsum. Sed tincidunt faucibus diam, ac tempor libero convallis a. Ut et tortor commodo, lacinia elit a, tempus ex. Proin scelerisque mauris at congue volutpat. Quisque id odio viverra, porttitor ex in, semper nunc. Fusce viverra ornare feugiat. Donec dictum aliquam sem, sit amet auctor lacus porttitor in. Mauris elit est, gravida at odio quis, congue viverra lectus. Sed id facilisis enim. Morbi pellentesque mi varius tristique faucibus.

Train Station and Caboose at BAYarts

The Nickel Plate Dover railway station was located on Dover Center Road in Bay Village next to the railroad tracks. In 1963, the closed station was donated to the city of Bay Village. It now stands in Huntington Park on the BAYarts campus. The depot currently houses Chatty’s Pizzeria restaurant.

A Norfolk & Western wood-sided caboose is on permanent display behind the old train depot. The caboose was built during the summer of 1924.

Fuller House at BAYarts

The Irene Lawrence Fuller House was part of the complex of homes built by industrialist Washington Lawrence in the 1870s. Lawrence had seven daughters and built a house for each.

The spacious historic home was moved from its past location on the eastern end of Bay Village adjacent to the Cashelmara condominiums to its current location at on Lake Road in the Huntington Reservation of the Cleveland Metroparks via a two-mile barge ride on Lake Erie in the late summer of 1984.

For the next 25 years, the house sat vacant while supporters raised money for the renovation, which started in 2009.
Renovations cost about $375,000. The money came from grants by the Ohio Cultural Facilities Commission, the Cleveland Metroparks, Mapleleaf Landscaping and local donors. Funds also came from naming rights to help complete the project.

The home itself – a Queen Anne Victorian structure — has an interesting history. In 1947, the Cleveland Osteopathic Association bought the land and buildings. The mansion was renamed the Bay Osteopathtic General Hospital and the Fuller House became the nurses’ residence.

In 1954, Dr. Richard Sheppard Sr., wife and his wife made the Fuller House their home. His infamous son, Sam Sheppard, was arrested by Bay Village police on the Fuller House porch for the murder of his wife, Marilyn. In 1955, the Sheppard family moved out of the home.

In 1981, then Baycrafters director Sally Price was instrumental in saving the house, which she wanted for galleries and studios. Baycrafters decided to move the house by floating it on the lake because the trip was shorter and cheaper.

Former Baycrafters board member Pat Heinke and her husband Lowell backed a bank loan that helped pay for the estimated $30,000 move to float the Fuller House to its present location. In comparison, the Cleveland Electric Illuminating Company wanted more than $100,000 to drop electric lines so the home could be towed 3 1/2 miles down Lake Road.

The Irene Lawrence Fuller House finally reopened on the campus of BAYarts in January 2011.

The renovated home features new flooring, windows, roofs, gutters, heating, venting and air conditioning, floor-to-ceiling window walls, a wrap-around deck, a second gazebo and an indoor and outdoor drawing and painting studio.

It also includes are a third floor office and first floor gallery space with moving art panels around decorative columns.

Water Tower at Huntington

The Huntington water tower, a well-known landmark, was used to store water pumped from Lake Erie below to irrigate John Huntington’s orchards and vineyards.

Though it looks like a lighthouse, this tower was actually a water-pumping structure that served to irrigate the grounds of John Huntington’s 100-acre estate. A brick pump house was located below the tower, which is speculated to have been run on steam power. John Huntington built the water tower to house a large storage tank so he could pump water from Lake Erie and store it in the tank to provide water for his property.

He wanted it to look pleasing so he designed it to look like a lighthouse.  It was never used as a lighthouse, but Mr. Huntington did install stairs that led to the top so he could watch the lake for his freighters hauling stone in and out of the Cleveland harbor.