A Tour of Rose Hill

Whether you’re following along in person at the Cahoon Homestead, or you’re exploring from home, please enjoy this tour of Rose Hill Museum and learn more about the Cahoon family.

Rose Hill was the home of the first settlers of Dover, now Bay Village. Three generations of the Cahoons lived on this hill for a little over a century, from the time they arrived on the morning of October 10, 1810 until it was put into the care of the city in 1917. Rose Hill Museum shows life throughout this dynamic century for the Cahoon family from the self-sufficiency of the early 1800s to the modern fashion of the Victorian era.

Before the Cahoons


For millennia, Bay Village was part of a hunting ground for Native American tribes. However, when Europeans arrived, this land was claimed by Connecticut under the terms of its royal charter in 1662.

Reed, Abner. Map of the Western Reserve. Reed and Rollo, 1842, East Windsor, CT. Map Collection, Cleveland Public Library.

Following the Revolutionary War, Connecticut ceded sovereignty of some of this land to the United States in 1786 but retained a portion for itself, called the Western Reserve. This coincided with the beginning of the Northwest Indian War as American settlers, the British, and Native Americans fought over ownership of this remaining territory. The war ended through a series of controversial treaties, including the Treaty of Greenville in 1795, which officially ended the war. These treaties ceded Native American land to Connecticut in pieces until the territory was finally sold to the Connecticut Land Company.
The following year in 1796, the Connecticut Land Company sent Moses Cleaveland to survey the territory and portion out 25 square mile townships for development by settlers. Nehemiah Hubbard and Joshua Stowe bought a large parcel along the lake, stretching from Rocky River to Avon and south to Olmsted Township. They named the township Dover, after their hometown in Connecticut. Distributed into lots, the settlement grew rapidly throughout the 1810s.

Reed, Abner. Map of the Western Reserve. Reed and Rollo, 1842, East Windsor, CT. Map Collection, Cleveland Public Library.

From Vermont to Rose Hill


Joseph Cahoon, a miller from Vermont, first visited the Western Reserve in 1799 and it evidently stuck with him. He and his wife Lydia Kenyon Cahoon, along with their children, finally set out 11 years later from Vergennes, Vermont for Lot #95 in Dover Township.

First sale of lots in Dover Township between 1810 and 1818 by lot number, year, and name of buyer. Rogers, Kelsey. Dover Township Lots 1810-1818. Bay Village Historical Society, 2021. Based on Hopkins, Griffith Morgan, Jr, and S. H Matthews. Map of Cuyahoga County, Ohio. S. H. Matthews, 1858, Philadelphia, PA. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress.

Although they were the first settlers to arrive, they were not alone. Later that same day, Asahel Porter and his family arrived at Lot #94 (present-day Huntington Reservation), along with Reuben Osborn and Leverett Johnson, all from Woodbridge, Connecticut. In fact, Joseph sent his third son, Joel, to a nearby Native American trading post during the first days of their arrival. Through trading, they were able to feed themselves while building their first house in time for the winter. The Cahoon family built a log cabin down by the creek in four days. A reproduction of a log cabin of the same period was built by the Boy Scouts in 1976 to celebrate the American Revolution Bicentennial. Read more about the cabin here (link to Cabin page).
After living in a log cabin by the creek for eight years, Joseph Cahoon and his son Joel built this house for the Cahoon household in 1818. In its first iteration, long before it was called Rose Hill, the house had none of the Gothic and Greek Revival influences seen in its later additions. Instead, the house was simply made by the Cahoons themselves. It had two floors with four rooms each.

Through the Generations


In 1839, Joseph Cahoon passed. His son Joel Butler Cahoon, returned to Rose Hill with his family in 1842. Joel’s mother, Lydia, had planted rose bushes throughout the property, prompting his wife, Margaret, to name the house and grounds Rose Hill.

A portrait of Margaret Van Allen Cahoon and John Butler Cahoon, Cahoon Family Collection, Bay Village Historical Society.

The homestead was now in the Victorian era. They no longer lived the life of pioneers. Joel’s children were successful members of the growing middle-class of the industrial revolution fueled Victorian era. Their house and possessions reflected this as can be seen in the Victorian Parlor and Victorian Bedroom.

A portrait of the surviving children of Joel and Margaret Cahoon, taken sometime between 1910 and 1917. Cahoon Family Collection, Bay Village Historical Society. Back row, left to right: Thomas Cahoon, Elizabeth Hughes Cahoon (his wife), Ida Cahoon, and John Marshall Cahoon. Front row, left to right: Laura Cahoon, Lydia Cahoon, with a chair left empty for recently passed Martha Cahoon.

Thomas Havenner Cahoon ran the lumber business Cahoon & Havenner and was a member of the City Council of Cleveland. John Joseph Cahoon was a mechanical engineer in Memphis, Tennessee. Leverett Judson Cahoon and John Marshall Cahoon built and operated a grocery store and boat house in the area. The four daughters became school teachers across northern Ohio.
In 1882, Joel Cahoon was near the end of his life, spurring thoughts of a lasting legacy. That year a barn was built for Joel and the family decided that upon the death of the last family member, their history would be preserved by giving Rose Hill to the city with the stipulation that it be converted into a library or museum. Later that year Joel Cahoon died at 90 years old but his legacy was ensured. His youngest daughter and last surviving heir, Ida Cahoon, wrote her will to honor the family’s decision. As a result, Joel’s barn is still standing as the Bay Village Community House, the grounds are now Cahoon Memorial Park, and their house is Rose Hill Museum. (To read more about the will visit The Library .)

A Cahoon family portrait in front of Rose Hill and Joel Cahoon’s barn sometime before 1910. Cahoon Family Collection, Bay Village Historical Society. Back row, left to right (daughters of Benjamin Reynolds Cahoon, brother to Joel Cahoon): Helen Cahoon Clark Bullock, Abigail Cahoon Schneerer, Jeanette Cahoon, and Minerva Cahoon Hollenbach. Front row, left to right (children of Joel Cahoon): Martha Cahoon, Lydia Cahoon, Thomas Cahoon, Ida Cahoon, and Laura Cahoon.

Today, the museum proudly displays their history and the history of their neighbors, giving us a glimpse into the lives of these early settlers. Enter the museum and visit the 1818 Parlor to begin the tour.

References


Barrow, William C. “Western Reserve.” Encyclopedia of Cleveland History, Case Western Reserve University. Accessed 25 May 2021.

Connecticut Western Reserve.” Ohio History Central, Ohio History Connection. Accessed 25 May 2021.

Hemenway, Eric. “Summer 1795: The Treaty of Greenville creates an uneasy peace.” National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior, 6 March 2015,

Flament, Catherine Burke. Retracing Footsteps: Lakeside Cemetery, Bay Village, Cuyahoga County, Ohio. Bay Village Historical Society, 2006.

Richner, Al. “Brief History of Dover Township.” North Olmsted, City of North Olmsted, . Accessed June 22, 2021.

Smoke House and Jail

A. Horace Wolf, who became the second mayor of Bay Village, serving from 1910 to 1915, lived on a property given to him by his father, Alfred, at 492 Bradley Road. (Horace had an airport in the 1920s located on the land behind St. Barnabas Church.) The old stone smoke house that stood behind the homestead house was used as a jail prior to Horace’s becoming mayor. It was used to lock up prisoners until the Marshall could take them to the county jail.

The large homestead was purchased by the city and the house, about 101 years old in August 1973, was torn down to make way for the new Jaycee Community House, now the Bay Lodge. The smokehouse was moved near the herb garden just south of Rose Hill Museum, where it stands today.

Cahoon Cabin

Joseph Cahoon and his family drove into the valley in Dover Township, now Bay Village, on Oct. 10, 1810. Since winter was approaching, it was imperative to create shelter. They built a cabin on the east side of a creek near the lakeshore in four days. In 1818, construction of their permanent home was completed at the top of the path along the lake and it now houses Rose Hill Museum. In 1976, Bay Village Mayor Henry Reese established a commission to plan historical events for the American Bicentennial. Boy Scout leaders John Brant and Donald Harris, along with members of the Bay Village Girl and Boy Scouts, their parents and friends, worked 3,900 hours to reconstruct the Cahoon cabin. A ribbon cutting was celebrated on Oct. 10, 1981, 171 years after the arrival of the Cahoons in Bay Village.

Community House

In 1936, as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project, men from Bay Village and the WPA worked on Lake Road and also remodeled the Cahoon family barn to serve as a community house for the growing city. The new building replaced the old red schoolhouse at Bassett and Lake roads as the center of community activities. The lower portion housed the city’s fire department for many years. The Bay Village Community House currently is home to the city’s recreation department and the Village Bicycle Cooperative. Plans for the future will make it a modern up-to-date community center to serve us even better.

Osborn Learning Center

The Reuben Osborn house, the oldest frame dwelling between Cleveland and Lorain dating to 1814, was slated for demolition in the early 1990s and was moved from its lakeside lot to a spot near the Cahoon family home in Cahoon Memorial Park. It now serves as the Osborn Learning Center, and houses much of the Bay Village Historical Society’s papers, books and materials on the Sam Sheppard case, and a rotating variety of displays. Located in the historical district of Bay Village, the Osborn Learning Center is open on Sundays from 2 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
 
 

Rose Hill Museum

The structure that houses the Rose Hill Museum was built in 1818 on the hill south of Lake Road by Joseph Cahoon and his family as their home. When the Cahoon family’s last area survivor, Ida Maria Cahoon, died in 1917, her will bequeathed the entire family property to the Village of Bay as a trust.
The mayor and city council are ex-officio trustees. Rose Hill, as Ida Cahoon wished, became the city’s library from 1919 to 1960. Her will also stipulated that if Rose Hill ceased to function as a library, it should become a museum. It opened as Rose Hill Museum in 1960 and the contents of the Cahoon home became the base of the museum’s collection.

The Lake Shore Electric Railway

The Lake Shore Electric Railway connected the city of Cleveland from its station at 25 Public Square to its western suburbs and beyond. Skimming through Bay Village, the interurban cars swayed past telephone poles at 60 mph. The whistle shrieked as it sailed across the two longest trestles, the 544-foot Cahoon Creek trestle and the 432-foot Huntington trestle. The last railway car left Cleveland’s Public Square on May 15, 1938, ending the 45-year era of the electric interurban transit along Lake Erie’s southern shore.

Segments of the interurban track, now privately owned, run behind homes at the western end of Bay Village. Remnants of the two trestles can still be found in Cahoon Memorial Park and over Porter Creek Drive in the Huntington Reservation of Cleveland Metroparks.

Lakeside Cemetery

“There is a history in all men’s lives.”
— Shakespeare, King Henry IV, Pt. III, i.80

The half-acre Lakeside Cemetery was founded in 1814 out of necessity when Asahel Porter’s wife, Rebecca, their infant son, Dennis, and a man named George Smith were killed. They were returning along with Noah Crocker from Cleveland when their boat capsized at the mouth of the Rocky River during a sudden storm. Reuben Osborn, one of the area’s first settlers and Rebecca’s brother-in-law, donated the land for the burials.

Osborn first visited Dover in October 1810 with the Porter family and Rebecca’s brother, Leverett Johnson. Osborn went back to Camden, N.Y., until the following spring when he returned with his family. Reuben officially purchased the 81 acres of the eastern portion of Lot 93 on which he had settled from Philo Taylor on November 7, 1815. The deed was not officially recorded until April 30, 1816. Delays were frequent in the documentation of records.

The cemetery when originally organized was comprised of what is now known as the center section, also referred to as the “Original Part.” A tombstone is found in Row 6 of the old section for Rebecca, her husband Asahel, and their infant son, Dennis. Two small, older stones, assumed to be the originals, are present with initials “A.P.” and “R.P.”

Records and Expansion


The year 1877 brought the addition of land surrounding the “original part” of the cemetery shown in green. The Trustees of Dover purchased more of Lot 93 to the north, east and west of the existing cemetery from David Deforest Osborn, Reuben’s grandson, for $94.40. David also signed a quit claim deed to the trustees for the cemetery itself, receiving $1.00 consideration.

A strip 28 feet wide was purchased for $140 to the east of Lot 93 from Charles and Babette Hassler. The Hasslers owned the former Porter property that is part of Lot 94. Additions created a horseshoe layout to bring the cemetery to its present size of approximately half an acre. The original part is now located in the interior of the drive with the eastern row and northern half circle comprised of the newly acquired land. The outer areas of the horseshoe drive were all acquisitions from 1877 purchases. Lots were numbered and sold from this new area primarily from 1879 to the early twentieth century. Prices for the individual lots were primarily in the $5.00 range.

The recording of internments at Lakeside Cemetery began in 1879 after the expansion of the cemetery. Records are not complete, nor consistently entered in the book, throughout the period of notations from 1879-1919. At times dates were not recorded chronologically which may indicate a delay in inclusion leading to inaccuracy and omissions. There are approximately 274 known burials at Lakeside who were either recorded in the Book of Interments or who may be identified with headstones. There may be many burials in the original part lacking documentation, but we will never know how many. When looking at the layout of the cemetery there are areas where gaps exist, especially in the sixth row which seems to be the oldest.

Burials do include two Revolutionary War soldiers; five soldiers from the War of 1812; nine Civil War soldiers, including one “Unknown Soldier,” one soldier from the Spanish American War, two during World War I, one soldier from World War II and one from the Korean War.

The Cahoon Will


The Last Will and Testament of Ida Maria Cahoon, granddaughter of the first family in Bay Village, specified that the cemetery be forever maintained. Ida had an interest in the cemetery because her grandparents, the first settlers of Bay Village, and her entire immediate family, consisting of her parents and all of her siblings, were interred there.

A portion of “Item 21” in the will of Ida Cahoon reads: “The Lakeside Cemetery situated west of said land on Lot Numbers Ninety-three (93) and Ninety-four (94) in the Village of Bay, in which lie buried many early settlers, is to be sacredly cared for and if need be, protected upon the North by stone wall, but never to be removed from its present location.

“If any of the conditions be violated or said Mayor or Village Council refuse to accept said trust, then and in that event, I give, devise and bequeath the land and Real Estate, in this item named and described to the Board of Trustees of the School Teachers Pension Fund of Cleveland, Ohio, and their successors in office forever as a home for the use of the retired Teachers of the Public Schools of the City of Cleveland, Ohio .”

Improvements


To draw attention to the significance of Lakeside Cemetery, Cathy Burke Flament in 2001 proposed to the Cahoon Memorial Park Trustees that an Ohio Historical Marker be erected at the site. The trustees, under the leadership of Mayor Deborah Sutherland, endorsed the proposal and the process was begun.

The Ohio Historical Marker Program, sponsored by the Ohio Historical Society, originally began in 1929 with the placing of wooden road sign markers to identify major routes of marches in military campaigns through Ohio. The current program recognizes people, places and events of local, state and/or national historical significance. In 1957, cast aluminum signs in the shape of Ohio replaced the original wooden markers.

Lakeside Cemetery was approved as a significantly historical site and a marker was dedicated during the Memorial Day festivities on May 27, 2002. This was also the 70th anniversary of the American Legion’s participation in the parade. Osborn descendants who were present for the unveiling included Kathy O’Connor Johnson, George Morgan, Sally O’Connor, Delbert and Betty Osborn, and Glenn and Ruth Osborn. The marker was included under the umbrella of the Ohio Bicentennial initiative which was celebrated in 2003.

Lakeside Cemetery


The marker with a photograph of Reuben Osborn states:

“Laid out in 1814, Lakeside Cemetery became the first public burying ground in Dover Township, an area that now includes Bay Village, Westlake, and the northern portion of North Olmsted. Reuben Osborn (1778-1860) arrived in Dover on October 10, 1810 but returned to New York. He settled on this land with his wife Sarah Johnson Osborn (1779-1856) and family in 1811, later purchasing most of the plot where the cemetery would be established from Philo Taylor. Sarah’s sister, Rebecca Porter, and her infant son were the first to be buried here; they were killed when their boat capsized at the mouth of the Rocky River in 1814. Including land purchased in 1877, the cemetery currently spans half an acre. Although not recorded until 1879, there are over 270 known burials. Among those interned here are veterans from the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, the Civil War, the Spanish-American War, and World War I.”

Small metal grave markers had been placed on the graves of veterans over the years but many were in a state of disrepair and few remained. To clearly identify all veterans buried at Lakeside Cemetery, the members of Bay Village Post 135 of the American Legion took it upon themselves to identify all of the graves of veterans and honor them with engagement-appropriate cast bronze markers. The project was completed with the metal markers set in concrete before the Memorial Day Parade of 2004 for those presently interred. Two additional markers have been installed since that time.

In 2003 a committee was formed to raise money to replace a combination of fence styles, including rotting wooden and chain link fences, that surrounded the cemetery. The effort was led by Billie Jo “B.J.” Schwartz, who at the time lived across the street from the cemetery and who, with husband Edward, owned the slivers of land that surround the cemetery on the west, north and east sides.

Questers Dover on Erie Chapter 821 spearheaded the project with the assistance of the Bay Village Historical Society. Following fundraising efforts and the generosity of private donors, sufficient funds were raised to erect a black metal fence around the cemetery. A new black and bronze sign was affixed to the fence along Lake Road and three other bronze plaques were placed on the fence to honor significant donors after the fence installation during the spring of 2005. The largest donation coming from the family of Michael Joseph Maloney (1974-1976) who has been honored with an individual plaque. Michael is buried elsewhere.

Benches were created from the top ledge and sandstone sides of the Wolf Road bridge that was rebuilt in 2005. Two benches were installed by the City of Bay Village at the north end of the cemetery to provide a resting place for those visiting the cemetery. Gary and Katy Dix Brahler generously donated a weeping cherry tree in the spring of 2004 that is planted near one of the benches.

Plans were initiated to beautify the cemetery with additional plantings which started in the spring of 2006. The city in the last few years has cleaned many of the stones which has drastically improved their condition.

A number of flat tombstones were damaged by vandals around 1969 and the stones were laid flat to preserve them. During the early 1970s the cemetery seemed to fall into disrepair. Unfortunately, one night, after repeated rains, about 40 feet of land was lost on the north, or lake, side of the cemetery. At least one casket. Emma Darby’s, behind the Hinz stone, was partially exposed was said to have been partially exposed in the washout. A rebuilding process was begun. The City of Bay Village and the Army Corp of Engineers installed gabions, or steel wire mesh baskets filled with stones, and added land to the north.

Fifty years later erosion has again become evident. The former Osborn/Morgan house directly across the street owns this property and that on both sides of the cemetery. The present owner has graciously agreed to completely foot the bill of having a stone wall constructed in 2021 to protect the area.

In Summary


The cemetery has undergone some major transformations in the last few years. Over the years it had been neglected at times but after the efforts of a concerned group of citizens, the cemetery has been revitalized which hopefully will be continued.

In 1980 it was estimated by the city that there were 77 empty graves. Available graves have been previously purchased from the city in the late 1800s and early 1900’s, but not all of the plots in a lot have been used by the owners. It is also difficult to determine what areas in the Old Section may be occupied and lack headstones.

After the book on the cemetery was published but the historical society, “Retracing Footsteps, Lakeside Cemetery, A Genealogical Study of Those Buried in or Associated with Lakeside Cemetery and Their Families” there was increased interest in the cemetery. Pat Meddick inquired into the possibility of she and her husband being buried in the SW corner of the cemetery. This was the lot where David Deforest Osborn was originally buried and later moved to Evergreen Cemetery. She, being an Osborn descendant, was able to secure the lot and have her husband, True Ellis Read (1919-2003) buried at Lakeside. Mabel Patricia Meddick Read (1922-2016) would later join her husband.

The NW corner of the cemetery, previously Potters Field, has had six cremation graves designated by the city. These are to be for individuals who have provided overwhelming service to Bay Village. Lot 14 has the remains of T. Richard “Dick” Martin (1930-2011) and his wife Betsy Ross Martin (1930-2016). Dick was a member of City Council for 38 years and President of Council for 32 years.

 

Unofficial Rendering of the Cemetery Showing Lots and Most Burials

Lot Name Birth Death
Row 4-1 Aldrich, Aaron III 1795 1856
Row 4-1 Aldrich, Aaron Winsor IV 1815 1890
Row 4-1 Aldrich, Elizabeth 1794 1869
Row 3-7 Aldrich, Harriet Emma 1847 1851
Row 4-1 Aldrich, Henry Winsor 1822 1892
Row 3-5 Aldrich, Ida 1856 1910
Row 4-1 Aldrich, Mabel L. 1865 1881
Row 3-6 Aldrich, Martha 1818 1875
Row 3-8 Aldrich, Martha Bassett 1842 1848
Lot 16 Aldrich, Mary Ann 1851 1921
Row 4-1 Aldrich, Mary Ann 1822 1910
Row 4-1 Aldrich, Sarah Elizabeth 1853 1858
Row 3-5 Aldrich, William W. 1817 1903
Lot 18 Aslaksen, Bernice 1916 1916
Lot 18 Aslaksen, Herbert Barth 1917 1917
Lot 18-1 Aslaksen, John 1901 1921
Lot 18-1 Aslaksen, Louisa Malvina1877 1948
Lot 18-1 Aslaksen, Olaf 1867 1954
Lot 34-6 Axam, Maria 1825 1895
Lot 23 Bambam, Frederick 1841 1901
Lot 23 Bambam, Lena 1837 1911
Row 3-10 Bassett, Martha Hall 1790 1835
Row 3-11 Bassett, Nancy 1823 1867
Row 3-9 Bassett, Nathan 1785 1842
Lot 6-13 Beard, Arthur H. 1882 1880
Lot 6-14 Beard, Emma Valara 1855 1927
Lot 6-13 Beard, Nelson 1887 1887
Lot 6-14 Beard, Nelson 1851 1907
Lot 5-10 Beard, Rolen 1890 1890
Lot 32 Beard, Willie 1888 1882
Lot 29 Bender, Elizabeth 1851 1929
Lot 33 Body, Mary 1854 1920
Unspec. Brais, Jenny Mary 1883 1909
Row 1-8 Braman, Betsey 1807 1848
Row 2-9 Braman, Horace 1831 1891
Row 1-8 Braman, James 1837? 1838
Row 1-8 Braman, Louisa 1829 1831?
Row 2-10 Braman, Lydia c1837 1864
Row 1-8 Braman, Otis 1805 1852(7)
Row 2-8 Braman, Sarah 1840 1933
Lot 9-18 Burko, Eleanor Louise 1916 1992
Lot 9-18 Burko, Walter William 1915 1994
Unspec. Burlingame 1882
Lot 44-4 Burlingame, Gilbert 1844 1900
Lot 44-4 Burlingame, Hiram 1809 1891
Lot 44-4 Burlingame, Rebecca 1813 1902
Lot 57-3 Burrell, Vernon 1863 1907
Lot 63-5 Cahoon, Charles Oscar 1839 1853
Lot 63-9 Cahoon, Daniel Kenyon 1838 1890
Lot 53-1 Cahoon, Elizabeth 1830 1914
Lot 63-6 Cahoon, Ida Marie 1852 1917
Row 4-8 Cahoon, Joel 1831 1838
Lot 63-10Cahoon, Joel Butler 1793 1882
Lot 63-8 Cahoon, John Joseph 1834 1894
Lot 64-13 Cahoon, John Marshall 1847 1899
Row 4-3 Cahoon, Joseph 1762 1839
Lot 65-15Cahoon, Laura Ellen 1841 1917
Lot 64-12 Cahoon, Leverett Judson 1845 1886
Row 4-3 Cahoon, Lydia 1768 1834
Lot 63-7 Cahoon, Lydia Elizabeth 1835 1917
Lot 64-11 Cahoon, Margaret 1810 1894
Lot 65-16 Cahoon, Martha W. 1844 1903
Lot 64-14 Cahoon, Mary Emma 1849 1857
Lot 54-2 Cahoon, Thomas H. 1832 1907
Row 4-14 Campbell, Eliza 1814 1854
Row 6-2 Case, Charlotte 1790 1826
Row 6-2 Case, Moses 1781 1868
Lot 8-16 Close, John 1875 1904
Lot 35 Comstock, Mary Jane c1834 1882
Row 5-11 Comstock, William 1826 1855
Lot 52-17 Conkey, Silas E. 1834 1880(3)
Lot 27 Conklin, Carrie G. 1881 1890
Lot 27 Conklin, James Monroe 1838 1900
Lot 27 Conklin, Susan c1839 1919
Row 2-15 Coppin, Eliza Ann 1820 1861
Row 2-17 Coppin, James 1818 1874
Row 2-16 Coppin, Willie 1846 1863
Lot 59 Cowley, Elizabeth 1837 1916
Lot 59 Cowley, John 1858 1892
Lot 5-9 Crist, Margarett F. c1853 1886
Lot 5-9 Crist, Mary Ann 1886 1887
Lot 28 Darby, Emma J. 1877 1957
Lot 40 David, Henry c1839 1890
Lot 24 Davider, Henry 1835 1898
Unspec. Deutsel, Ludwig 1865 1910
Row 4-15Dodd, Annie 1836 1924
Row 4-15Dodd, Charles 1835 1887
Row 4-16Dodd, Charles 1870 1871
Lot 61-9 Drake, Della Myrtilla 1863 1895
Lot 61-9 Drake, Emma Irene 1860 1933
Lot 61-9 Drake, Frederick Lincoln 1862 1941
Lot 9 Dranse, Erdine Elizabeth 1870 1950
Row 2-6 Eddy, Caleb 1791 1869
Row 2-5 Eddy, Charles F. 1853 1854
Row 2-5 Eddy, Hiram J. 1851 1854
Row 1-11 Eddy, Margaret Griswold1802 1869
Row 2-7 Eddy, Rebecca 1788 1849
Lot 43 Edson, Calvin Riley 1832 1880
Lot 54-3 Ellis, Effie H. 1863 1888
Lot 45-6 Elmer, Helen V. 1846 1930
Lot 45 Elmer, Lewie 1865 1918
Lot 45-5 Elmer, Washington 1837 1925
Orig. Part Eppink, Infant 1890 1890
Row 4-2 Eugene C. Oviatt 1864 1864
Lot 16 Everard, Mary Ann 1851 1921
Lot 16 Everard, Mary Ann 1892 1936
Lot 16 Everard, Robert 1854 1921
Unspec. Fichle, Infant 1925 1925
Row 2-12 Foote, Betsy H. 1826 1828
Row 2-12 Foote, Catherine 1806 1886
Row 2-12 Foote, Catherine P. 1838 1923
Row 3-1 Foote, Dama 1794 1866
Row 3-3 Foote, David 1760 1851
Row 3-4 Foote, Elizabeth 1764 1844
Row 2-12Foote, Henry P. 1844 1919
Row 2-11Foote, Ransom 1803 1846
Row 3-2 Foote, Richard L. 1854 1856
Row 2-12Foote, Statira J. 1842 1845
Row 3-1 Foote, Thomas 1788 1856
Lot 33 Gerbick, Maude 1881 1944
Row 5-3 Geuder, Lina 1858 1858
Lot 35 Gibbs, Henry c1830 1898
Lot 35 Gibbs, Mary Jane c1834 1882
Row 5-2 Goodrich, James 1846 1848
Row 5-15 Grant, Alonson Atwell 1835 1863
Row 2-4 Griswold, Etmer L. 1865 1866
Row 1-10 Griswold, Luman 1799 1845
Row 2-4 Griswold, Luman Loami 1838 1867
Lot 33 Gunziger, Carl 1886 1886
Lot 29 Haag, Infant 1914 1914
Lot 39 Hahn, Frederick 1879 1884
Lot 18-1 Hardy, Louisa Malvina 1877 1948
Lot 42-18 Hassler, Anna 1858 1942
Lot 41-17 Hassler, Babette 1832 1879
Lot 41-17 Hassler, Carl F. 1820 1906
Lot 42-18 Hassler, Edna M. 1885 1964
Lot 43-20 Hassler, Fritz 1840 1892
Lot 42-18 Hassler, Getrude M. 1888 1966
Lot 42-18 Hassler, Laura M. 1884 1988
Lot 41-17 Hassler, Mathilda L. 1865 1947
Lot 42-18 Hassler, Robert C. 1890 1983
Lot 30 Hayes, Fannie J. 1868 1914
Row 3-15 Hayes, Joseph 1829 1905
Row 3-16 Hayes, Mary Jane 1832 1922
Lot 33 Heckerman, Bertha C. 1873 1907
Lot 33 Heckerman, Frank 1868 1954
Lot 33 Heckerman, Maude 1881 1944
Lot 10 Heron, Caroline 1889 1890
Row 1-6 Hilliard, William Silas 1813 1854
Lot 28 Hinz, Augusta 1850 1945
Lot 28 Hinz, Fred 1852 1911
Lot 57-2 Jaycox, Burrell Anson 1893 1904
Lot 62 Jaycox, Francis Willard c1890 1894
Lot 62-10 Jaycox, Genevieve C. 1859 1946
Lot 62-10 Jaycox, George Anson 1857 1926
Lot 57-1 Jaycox, George Ernest 1881 1895

Lot Name Birth Death
Unspec. Johnson, William J. 1875 1934
Lot 19-2 Knaggs, Frank John 1863 1931
Row 5-1 Krumwiede, Heinrich Wm 1816 1899
Lot 9 Krumwiede, Infant c1904 c1904
Orig. Part Krumwiede, Infant 1909 1909
Lot 9 Krumwiede, Infant c1903 c1903
Lot 9-17 Krumwiede, Katherine M 1870 1904
Orig. Part Krumwiede, Leslie 1903 1905
Lot 9-19 Krumwiede, Lillian Sophie1890 1974
Row 5-1 Krumwiede, Sophia 1822 1874
Lot 31-3 Kupfer, Edward W. 1860 1926
Lot 31-3 Kupfer, Emma 1859 1951
Lot 42-19 Lieberich, Theodore 1848 1910
Row 5-14 Loomis, William Henry 1841 1842
Lot 6-14 Lucas, Emma Valara 1855 1927
Lot 5-9 Lucas, Margarett F. 1850 1886
Lot 33 Lukacs, Mary 1854 1920
Lot 14 Martin, Elizabeth Ross 1930 2016
Lot 14 Martin, Treagh Richard1930 2011
Lot 3 Mawby, John 1886 1886
Lot 42-18 Mayer, Anna 1858 1942
Lot 42-18 Mayer, J. Robert 1858 1942
Row 6-1 McMahon, Charlotte 1836 1862
Orig. Part Miller, David 1841 1879
Lot 29 Miller, remains of 1897
Lot 1 Morgan, Mary Ann 1918 1918
Lot 28 Neubaum, Augusta 1850 1945
Lot 7 Oliver, Antonia 1824 1911
Lot 48-10 Osborn, Angenette E 1835 1880
Lot 43-21 Osborn, Bessie 1873 1897
Lot 2-5 Osborn, Betsey 1839 1912
Lot 1-3 Osborn, Chester Arthur 1889 1890
Lot 24 Osborn, Clare Marshall 1874 1952
Lot 43-21 Osborn, Clayton Selden 1873 1911
Lot 1-1 Osborn, David Deforest 1853 1902
Lot 46-7 Osborn, Eunice 1846 1940
Lot 43 Osborn, Gladys 1896 1896
Lot 43-21 Osborn, John Eldin 1897 1962
Row 5-8 Osborn, John Ruple 1844 1856
Row 4-13 Osborn, Julia 1813 1833
Lot 46-7 Osborn, Lucy M. 1886 1955
Row 5-6 Osborn, Mary Elizabeth 1851 1922
Row 5-8 Osborn, Mary R. 1843 1844
Lot 24 Osborn, Mildred 1870 1952
Row 5-8 Osborn, Nancy 1813 1890
Row 5-6/7 Osborn, Nettie Pearl 1878 1882
Row 4-11 Osborn, Polly 1804 1870
Lot 46-7 Osborn, Reuben 1847 1919
Row 4-9 Osborn, Reuben 1778 1860
Row 5-6 Osborn, Samuel Foster 1842 1897
Row 4-10 Osborn, Sarah 1779 1858
Row 5-8 Osborn, Selden 1809 1867
Lot 48-10 Osborn, Sherman 1834 1886
Orig. Part Peake, Horace Leroy 1897 1899
Orig PartPeake, Robbie D. 1896 1899
Lot 34 Pellett, Elizabeth Ann 1854 1919
Lot 34-6 Pellett, John 1825 1902
Lot 34-6 Pellett, Maria A. 1825 1895
Lot 59-5 Peters, Annie M. 1865 1893
Unspec. Peters, Cuvier 1883 1919
Lot 21 Pickering, George 1858 1914
Unspec. Pickering, Martha Jane c1859 1930
Row 6-3 Porter, Asahel 1782 1820
Row 6-3 Porter, Dennis 1814 1814
Row 6-3 Porter, Rebecca 1777 1814
Lot 9-17 Quell, Katherine Marie 1870 1904
Lot 1 Read, True Ellis 1919 2003
Lot 1 Read, Mabel Patricia 1922 2016
Lot 62-12 Rehling, Harry Ernest 1896 1989
Lot 62-11 Rehling, Lucille G. 1888 1957
Row 2-13 Rentschler, Regina 1806 1871
Lot 38-11 Rentschler, Regina K. 18341918
Lot 43-21 Repp, Bessie 18731897
Row 5-13 Rowell, Isaac 1774 1845
Row 5-12 Rowell, Jerusha 1781 1867
Lot 58-4 Rumbaugh, Sterling L. 1894 1918
Row 3-14 Sadler, Christopher 1756 1839
Row 3-12 Sadler, Elizabeth 1793 1872
Row 3-13 Sadler, Sophia c1760 1851
Row 3-12 Sadler, William 1791 1875
Lot 22-8 Sarles, Elizabeth 1871 1932
Lot 22-8 Sarles, George F. 1867 1905
Lot 22-6 Sarles, Ray D. 1898 1908
Lot 29 Scheible, Elizabeth 1851 1929
Lot 29-1 Scheible, George 1855 1947
Lot 29-1 Scheible, Rosie 1862 1892
Lot 33 Schneeberger, Bertha C. 1873 1907
Lot 36-9 Scholl, Anna 1838 1904
Lot 31-3 Scholl, Emma 1859 1951
Lot 36-7 Scholl, Rudolph 1827 1904
Lot 36-8 Scholl, William 1865 1882
Lot 10-20 Schulz, Johannes F. 1819 1886
Lot 31-4Scholl, Otto 1857 1902
Lot 9-18 Seitz, Eleanor Louise 1916 1992
Lot 9 Seitz, Erdine Elizabeth 1870 1950
Lot 9-19Seitz, Jay Henry William 1885 1950
Lot 9-19 Seitz, Lillian Sophie 1890 1974
Orig. Part Seitz, Wilbur Lawrence 1913 1915
Lot 24 Sleeper, Mildred 1870 1952
Unspec. Smith, Rebecca c1751 1811
Lot 29-1 Solomon, Rosie 1862 1892
Row 2-1 Stevens, Benjamin 1795 1871
Row 2-3 Stevens, Chauncey B. 1833 1913
Row 2-2 Stevens, Lovica 1796 1862
Lot 60-7 Sunk, Friedrieka 1833 1888
Lot 60-6 Sunk, Louis 1831 1904
Lot 10-21 Szabo, Elizabeth 1862 1908
Lot 30 Thorsen, Fannie J. 1868 1914
Lot 7 Tomanek, Antonia 1824 1911
Lot 7 Tomanek, John M. 1818 1887
Lot 12-23 Trestik, Anna 1863 1927
Lot 40 Tuttle, Dexter 1807 1879
Lot 49-12 undetermined, Louisa
Row 6-6 Unknown Soldier
Unspec. Wagner, Jacob c1861 1880
Lot 4-7 Ware, John 1826 1879
Lot 4-8 Ware, Lydia 1833 1882
Lot 10-21 Warga, Elizabeth 1862 1908
Lot 27 White, Susan c1839 1919
Lot 19-2 Wilkshire, Walter 1871 1924
Lot 2-4 Williams, Barney c1852 1895
Lot 2-5 Williams, Betsey 1839 1912
Row 1-3 Willis, Alfred H. 1846 1927
Row 1-4 Willis, Carl 1878 1878
Row 1-3 Willis, Fannie M. 1839 1908
Row 4-6 Winsor, Henry 1835 1855
Row 4-6 Winsor, Henry 1813 1896
Row 4-6 Winsor, Martha 1815 1882
Row 4-6/7 Winsor, Nancy Maria 1839 1849
Lot 40-16 Wischmeyer, Amelia L. 1878 1911
Row 1-5 Wischmeyer, Fredrick 1863 1864
Lot 39-13 Wischmeyer, Henry 1832 1901
Lot 51-16 Wischmeyer, Henry 1872 1959
Lot 40-15Wischmeyer, Julius 1875 1909
Lot 11-22Wischmeyer, K. 1826 1902
Lot 40-14Wischmeyer, Louis A. 1865 1899
Lot 51-15Wischmeyer, Olga W. 1869 1948
Lot 38-11Wischmeyer, Regina K.1834 1918
Lot 51-14Wischmeyer, Matilda 1866 1922
Row 2-14Wolf, Alfred Charles 1865 1867
Lot 49-11Wolf, Alfred Marion 1828 1896
Row 1-13Wolf, Anna 1808 1894
Lot 50-13Wolf, Arthur H. J. 1874 1900
Lot 50-14Wolf, Caroline 1846 1930
Row 1-16Wolf, John 1790 1859
Row 1-12Wolf, Michael 1829 1862
Row 1-14Wolf, Philapena 1760 1851
Lot 66-14Wuestenberg, Charles 1832 1891
Lot 66 Wuestenberg, Ida May 1866 1884
Lot 66 Wuestenberg, Melville1881 1886
Lot 66-13Wuestenberg, Rebecca 1836 1918
Potters Field Yanko, Infant 1927 1927

Dover Bay CC Golf Course

Bay Village resident Washington Lawrence indulged his family’s and friend’s wishes and developed the oldest golf course in Cuyahoga County. According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, golf was played at Dover-Bay prior to 1895. The golf course greens were located on the south side of Lake Road, east of Clague Road. The large frame clubhouse was on Lake Road northeast of Clague Road. In 1951, after the last of the Lawrence family had sold their Lake Road mansion, their lakeside property was split into lots for sale and the clubhouse was torn down. The Dover-Bay Country Club members built a new clubhouse on the south side of Lake Road. This meant changing all of the hole numbers so that they started and finished at the clubhouse. The nine-hole golf course operated through 1956, when the property was sold for development.

Cashelmara / Lawrence Estate

The Cashelmara condominiums, located on the shores of Lake Erie in eastern Bay Village, boast a rich history beginning in 1898 with a mansion built by Washington Lawrence, a pioneer in the manufacturing of electrical and carbon products. The property was later purchase by the Sheppard family and converted into the Bay View Osteopathic Hospital. The early 1980s brought the final transformation, when architect and developer Bob Corna created a 110-unit condominium conplex out of the closed hospital and surrounding area. It was named Cashelmara, meaning “stone house by the sea” in Gaelic.