The mass influx of immigrants in the mid-to-late 1800’s included a German family in 1854 who would eventually bring a primary business adventure to Dover. Originally settling in Cleveland, Henry Wischmeyer (1832-1902) purchased a farm in 1872 that was located at 26565 Lake Road. Carrying on the tradition of grape growing, they planted vineyards on two of their acres. Within two years they built a resort hotel storing casks in the lower area with the capacity of ten thousand gallons of wine. The hotel, able to accommodate seventy guests, would become a thriving vacation spot.
The Wischmeyer family included Henry’s wife Regina (1834-1918), whose sister Caroline married Alfred Wolf, and six children, five living to adulthood. The Wischmeyer home still stands today and has been lovingly attended to for the last 150 years.
The following items come from the Wischmeyer family collection. The photograph features “Granny Wischmeyer” in the seat of a beloved family buggy. A version of the buggy was created for the family in toy form. You may view the miniature buggy at the Rose Hill Museum which opens again to the public on Sunday, April 24 from 2:00 to 4:30pm.