Bay Village resident Washington Lawrence indulged his family’s and friend’s wishes and developed the oldest golf course in Cuyahoga County. According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, golf was played at Dover-Bay prior to 1895. The golf course greens were located on the south side of Lake Road, east of Clague Road. The large frame clubhouse was on Lake Road northeast of Clague Road. In 1951, after the last of the Lawrence family had sold their Lake Road mansion, their lakeside property was split into lots for sale and the clubhouse was torn down. The Dover-Bay Country Club members built a new clubhouse on the south side of Lake Road. This meant changing all of the hole numbers so that they started and finished at the clubhouse. The nine-hole golf course operated through 1956, when the property was sold for development.